Are you looking to buy a bike but you’re confused on which model to buy? There are many different brands of bikes in the market and it can be overwhelming to choose the right one.
Bikes are grouped into many categories and sub-categories. Given that you are looking to buy a bike it is probably best that you have a idea on the different types of bikes available in the market.
Bikes are divided into multiple categories such as:
- Mountain bikes: these bikes tend to have 26” or 29” wide knobby tires, flat handlebars, rugged frames and components, and suspension to help the cyclist navigate properly over rocky mountain trails.
- Road bikes: they can be distinguished by their large skinny tires, which help them glide along the road with minimum effort, and drop handlebars, which offer grip variations.
- cyclo-cross bikes: these have drop handlebars and wide knobby tires that make them suitable for racing around dirt trails where some obstacles have been put at certain intervals.
- Folding bikes: a folding bike is really great for travel because it folds and fits easily on a train, trunk of a car, or any other compact space.
- BMX bikes: single-gear bikes made for navigating on dirt courses. Freestyle BMX bikes are for extreme sports.
- Track bikes: optimized for racing in outdoor tracks with their fixed gears and narrow inflated tires to lessen rolling resistance.
- Hybrid Bikes: multi-purpose comfortable bicycles that can withstand a vast range of riding uses and conditions. They have flat, straight handlebars, upright seating position, lightweight thin wheels and smooth tires.
Those are just some bicycle types, but there are many more sub-types. Different bikes have different applications and you should know what you plan to do with your bike.
Do you plan to use it for commuting to and from work, or for riding on rough trails?
In this article, we have complied a comprehensive guide on some of the best bikes in the market from different brands and categories. Read on to see our best picks.
|Murtisol 26” Folding Mountain Bike||Murtisol||Folding design|
|SwagCycle EB-5 Lightweight||Swagtron||15.5-mile range|
|6KU Aluminum Fixed Gear||6KU||Lightweight 6061 aluminum|
|Raleigh Cadent 1 Urban Fitness Bike||Raleigh Cadent||Flat steel mid-rise handlebars|
|Retrospec Mars Hybrid||Retrospec Mars Hybrid||Dual caliper brakes|
|Tommaso Imola Endurance||Tommaso||Shimano Claris R2000|
|Tommaso Monza Endurance k||Tommaso||HCT carbon Fork|
|Raleigh Bikes RX||Raleigh||TRP spyre dual actuated mechanical disc brakes|
Our 1st Pick: Murtisol 26” Folding Mountain Bike 21
This stylish looking bike from Murtisol is a great fit if you commute to work, or ride in parks and in camp sites. The folding design enables easy storage and transport.
The design is matched exactly to suit the rider and provides a great sense of security and comfort. Serious product testing has been done to ensure that every component fits properly.
- Top-notch quality drive train gives a smooth driving experience. You get to enjoy safety and stability in your journey.
- Folding design allows easy storage and transport; the bike can fold up in half size.
- Non-slip, durable tires.
- Easy to control, simple and efficient design.
- Reinforced 26” solid frame.
- Made with high quality components that have super strength and last for long.
- Full suspension fork minimizes vibrations in any terrain.
- Power V Brake brings convenient absorption in bumpy roads for smooth and comfortable cycling.
- Available in different colors: black and green, simple black, silver and white.
- Super strength bike with great stability.
- Really fast.
- Made with durable high quality components.
- High absorption capability.
- Non-slip tires.
- Some users have complained that the left pedal arm becomes loose easily.
Our 2nd Pick: SwagCycle EB-5 Lightweight Bike
Revamp your daily commute with the EB-5 E-Bike. It is made with high-quality materials and has a long-lasting 36V lithium ion battery.
This electronic bike can take you anywhere in cities and in the countryside.
It packs enough power to lasts for a maximum of 15.5 miles per hour. You’re advised to go full throttle then adjust to pedaling or change between the two at a time for a fantastic workout.
With this awesome bike, you can go wherever you want and however you want.
- It has a weight of 37 pounds.
- Triple-fold design brings great portability. You can carry your bike inside trunks, trains, closets or any storage space.
- Lightweight design. You can easily carry it up the stairs.
- The SwagCycle EB-5 E-bike comes fully-assembled so you will not have to waste time or expenses assembling it.
- You can easily adjust the seat and handle bar height for a comfortable ride.
- 14-inch air-filled rubber wheels with fast-disconnect brake wires give you a smooth ride and are easy to maintain.
- Ride the bike on full throttle for 15.5-mile range on one charge or further depending on switches between power assist and manual pedaling.
- The EB-5 can carry cyclists of up to 264 pounds.
- Aluminum alloy is the main material used in construction.
- Autoguard Technology is a safety feature that ensures the bike’s motor can automatically disengage upon braking.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery stores sufficient charge with up to 15 miles.
- Easy to transport because of the triple-fold design.
- Easy to maintain.
- Comes fully-assembled.
- Safe to use due to the Autoguard Technology.
- If the battery dies you have to pedal manually.
Our 3rd Pick: 6KU Aluminum Fixed Gear Single Track Bike
If you are in need of a solid and affordable track bike, you should check out the 6KU Urban Track Bike. It has riser bars instead of drop bars for fast navigation through city streets.
This bike is full of amazing features to suit your cycling needs.
The lightweight 6061 aluminum frames together with a matching aluminum fork will provide you with a fantastic ride.
You can use this urban bike for recreational rides, or as a daily means of transportation.
- Replaceable stainless steel dropouts.
- 6061 lightweight aluminum with smooth to the touch welds
- 32H F/R flip-flop hub for fixed gear or freestyle riding.
- 1 and 1/8” alloy fork
- 700 by 25C Kenda tires.
- 30mm Deep V double wall wheels
- Easy to remove front and rear brakes.
- Quick assembly.
- Available in a variety of colors such as yellow/black and navy blue/black.
- Very easy to assemble
- Easy to maintain
- Lightweight design
- Smooth and fast ride.
- This bottom bracket is prone to creaking with long term use.
Our 4th Pick: Raleigh Cadent 1 Urban Fitness Bike
The Raleigh Cadent 1 Urban Fitness Bike is fitted with flat steel mid-rise handlebars for added comfort during your daily ride.
The wide array of convenient features will allow you to commute to work or other recreational places smoothly and safely.
This Raleigh bicycle comes partially assembled. Get to discover how your bike operates without having to start from scratch.
The manufacturers of this produce are committed to creating bicycles that provide quality cycling experiences.
- Flat, steel, mid-rise handlebars give you a comfortable, upright riding position.
- Shimano tourney 3 by 7 spd shifters have 21 gear options.
- 700c large wheels and custom frame give you a fast and efficient ride.
- Quick and smooth 35c wide tires have more traction.
- Bike comes partially assembled. You can finish the assembly by yourself or take your bike to a local bike mechanic.
- Overall sizing: S (5’3”-5’6”), M (5’6”-5’9”), L (5’9”-6’) and XL (6’-6’4”).
- Rack and fender mounts.
- Strong double-wall wheels
- Available in different sizes.
- Lightweight, sturdy bike.
- Rides smooth.
- A good buy.
- Comfortable handlebars.
- The bike comes semi-assembled; the rider may need to take the bike to a bike shop thus incurring some charges.
Our 5th Pick: Retrospec Mars Hybrid City Commuter Bike
The Retrospec Mars Hybrid City Commuter Bike is the ultimate bike that gives you freedom over your ride.
It is available in a wide array of colors, styles, sizes and speeds. The manufacturers want you to select how you want to ride.
Retropec Bicycles is keen on creating safe bicycles for you. The dual caliper breaks give you precision.
Even in wet weather, you are assured of a safe ride because of the water dispersion groves other tires.
- Hand-crafted, tig-wielded, high-strength steel frame.
- Front and back caliper brakes give you accurate control when you’re stopping.
- Classic diamond frame.
- Comfortable saddle and grips.
- Rear rack and front light included.
- Kenda commuter tires fitted with water dispersion groves grip the road well even on wet roads.
- Strong stainless steel spokes.
- Comes 85 percent assembled with assembly tools and instructions manual.
- Available in multiple colors, sizes and styles.
- Comfortable saddle and cruiser handlebars.
- Great retro style look.
- Low maintenance.
- Great value for money.
- Upright riding position.
- The shifter is somehow stiff and hard to read.
Our 6th Pick: Tommaso Imola Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
Tommaso Imola is among the most common budget-friendly road bikes in the market. It looks really good and just with a little investment, you receive a quality Italian designed bicycle.
It has a lot to offer from the vast range of quality features. From the 6061 SLA aluminum frame , Shimano Claris to the Kenda tires, you receive an affordable and quality ride.
Though it is a cheap bike, it is designed to suit your cycling needs efficiently.
- 6061 SLA compact aluminum bike frame provides a seamless ride on uneven terrain.
- The frame is available in 3 color options: black, white and burnt orange.
- SST Steel fork.
- 3×8 Shimano Claris drive train is perfectly suited for an amateur road cyclist
- Shimano Claris 3-speed front derailleur and 8-speed back derailleur. The derailleurs offer a smooth transition between gears.
- Tommaso Corsa TC-20 wheels. Front wheel has 20 spokes and the rear wheel has 24 spokes, therefore your weight will be supported well
- Kenda 700x25c tires have a good width. The tires roll seamlessly on most roads.
- Shimano Claris brake calipers enable you to stop properly.
- Flat pedals.
- Saddle is comfortable.
- Weighs 25 lbs.
- Budget-friendly bike.
- drive train is suitable for beginner cyclists.
- Looks great
- Offers great precision.
- Wheels support your weight sufficiently.
- The fork is made out of steel, meaning it weighs more than an aluminum fork and thus adds some wight to the Tommasa bike.
Our 7th Pick: Tommaso Monza Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
The Tommaso Monza is a great fit due to the laser measured bike frames and dialed in sizing of the handlebar, stem length and crank arm length.
This bike is suitable for long rides, commuting, triathlons and training. It features a premium aluminum 6061 frame and HCT carbon Fork.
This bike is among the best aluminum bikes from Tommaso. You will love the frame because it is drilled to fit all sorts of racks and fenders, making it a versatile ride that is perfect for long journeys.
- Lightweight compact aluminum frame coupled with a HCT carbon fork for greater absorption of vibrations and weight savings.
- Lifetime frame and fork warranty from the manufacturer.
- Frame is drilled to fit all kinds of racks and fenders.
- 2 by 10 Shimano Tiagra group set provides a wide range of speeds.
- 50/34T Tiagra compact crank set
- 11x32T Tiagra cassette
- Shimano Tiagra STI shifters operate properly with the complete Tiagra group set to bring you super fast shifting and an unmatched level of responsiveness.
- Weighs 21.6 lbs for a 53cm frame.
- Responsive gear shifting system.
- Comfortable seat.
- Frame shame looks amazing.
- Gives you value for money.
- Comes at a great price.
- The pedals that come with the bike are not of great quality.
Our 8th Pick:Raleigh Bikes RX 2.0 cyclo-cross Bike
Are you into cyclo-cross riding and looking for a suitable bike? The RX 2.0 Cylocross bike from Raleigh may be just what you need.
The manufacturers have taken the time to create and design a bike that is well-suited for cross-riding in the craziest outdoor conditions.
You can choose the bike size you want from the 4 size options. The frame is fitted with amazing features to make it perfect for racing competitions.
Don’t worry about the braking system because the RX 2.0 is fitted with TRP spyre dual actuated mechanical disc brakes that provide powerful stopping power. Check this bike out and get to enjoy the dream ride.
- Specially designed for cyclo-cross biking activities.
- Comes in 4 different sizes to suit different heights.
- Super light butted 6061 aluminum frame combined with thru axles, disc tabs and tapered head tube make it suitable for racing competitions.
- TRP spyre dual actuated mechanical disc brakes give sufficient stopping power in all cross-riding ground conditions.
- Reliable and efficient SRAM Rival 1×11 drive train powers this cyclo-cross ride while providing many gears options to choose from.
- Arrives partially assembled.
- Medium cage derailleur.
- Long-lasting Weinmann impulse TL
- Double-wall rims
- Clement MXP 700×33 tires that are made to perform.
- Solid, lightweight and super fast bike.
- Tires perform well on all kinds of surfaces.
- Excellent components for this price range.
- Disc brakes provides great stopping power.
- Available in different sizes.
- The tires are quite knobby and only suited for trails mostly.
We have listed those bikes because they are indeed among the best in the market. They look stylish and are designed to perform perfectly while out on the road.
The frame material, wheel design, tires type, saddle comfort, handlebar design and weight of the bike are among the major considerations to make while selecting the best bike.
The price of the bike does not necessarily reflect the quality. There are some cheap bikes that perform just as well as the more expensive ones.